Heart Of Texas Parkinson’s And Caregivers Support (HOTPACS)
In 1986 HOTPACS was the only non-profit organization offering assistance free of charge to people with Parkinson’s (PWPs) and their care partners in Waco and the surrounding areas.
MISSION & VISION
- We work to provide exercise, education, and inspiration to people with Parkinson’s and their care partners.
- We envision raising awareness of Parkinson’s and other movement disorders by providing exercise classes, discussion groups, licensed professional speakers, 10 monthly newsletters, annual membership directory, brochures for distribution at public events, and our internet website.
- HOTPACS invites medical and other professionals to present information and research on Parkinson’s and other movement disorders, treatments, therapies, patient care management, insurance and Medicare.
- HOTPACS provides exercise classes, speakers, and discussion groups FREE OF CHARGE.
- Everyone is welcome to participate in classes and attend invited speaker presentations. However, discussion groups are confidential and restricted to people who have Parkinson’s and their care partners.
***HOTPACS does not endorse non-prescribed health products, health coaching, or patient care management.***
EXERCISE — EDUCATION — INSPIRATION
- Low Impact Exercise Classes (either sitting or standing as able) address the physical side effects of Parkinson’s Disease and other movement disorders. Exercise strengthens weakening muscles and improves balance and coordination, which helps prevent injury from falling.
- Voice and Facial Exercises strengthen muscles in the mouth and neck. This helps improve speech and swallowing, and reduces the risk of choking.
- Professional Speakers are scheduled once a month in September through June. HOTPACS invites certified professionals to speak about Parkinson’s research, treatments, therapies, and patient care management.
- Experience-Sharing Meetings are scheduled once a month for candid and confidential discussions in separate groups: one for people with Parkinson’s (PWPs); and one for their care partners.
- Social potluck lunches 2 or 3 times a year.
NEWSLETTER & MEMBERSHIP DIRECTORY
- Annual Fee $15/person or $20/couple, payable in August
- The newsletter is a must-read, as the editor Martha Black researches the internet and print publications to produce a “Reader’s Digest” of valuable information.
QUOTES FROM GROUP PARTICIPANTS
Since 1986, our mission to provide exercise, education and inspiration to People With Parkinson’s (PWPs) and their Care Partners has been rewarding beyond measure. We also welcome people with any other neurological and/or movement disorder. To see and hear for yourself, you’re invited to attend, free of charge.
The following quotes are comments received from group participants:
“I was recently diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease, and my doctor recommended that my husband and I go to HOTPACS to learn more about managing the challenges ahead. Everyone was so warm and friendly, and we joined right away. The Heart Of Texas Parkinson’s and Caregivers Support Group provides us with the latest research information, chair exercise classes that are fun and easy to do, and they have a monthly newsletter that keeps us up-to-date on upcoming speakers and topics to discuss. We love HOTPACS!”
“I had thought that Parkinson’s Disease was all about the elderly, hand tremors and shuffling feet, right? Well, I found out differently when my doctor referred me to a movement disorder specialist at Baylor/Scott & White Hospital in Temple. He told me that I had symptoms of Young Onset Parkinson’s Disease and said there were many side effects of Parkinson’s that can give an early warning that you might get it. At 45 years old, I still have years of productivity left in me, and HOTPACS has given me the support and encouragement I need to look forward to the future positively.”
“The Heart Of Texas Parkinson’s and Caregivers Support Group has been my “Parky” family for three years now, and I can’t imagine what my journey would be like without them. We get together every Tuesday and Thursday from 3 to 4 p.m. They have a professional instructor every Tuesday who teaches seated stretching and flexibility exercises, and on Thursdays, they usually have a speaker, or discussion groups, or another exercise session. Thanks to HOTPACS, I’m feeling fit and better than ever.”